Welcome to Aim for the Cat!

Welcome to our blog! Ground rules: Enjoy our blog. Then tell your friends to visit and enjoy our blog. Then they will follow these rules and our empire will expand. This will eventually lead to our ruling the world, which will be a good thing.

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Science! 1

Alright everybody, I said I'd do a post about the Myo, but I think I'll expand it to just generally cool science stuff that I've been hearing about in the vastness of the interwebs.

The first order of business, as previously stated, is the Myo. Developed by Thalmic Labs and worn as an armband, the device allows the user to interact with electronic devices such as tablets, phones, computers, etc. with an advanced form of motion-sensitivity. If you watch the video, it makes it look like you're using the force to control the devices around you. I cried actual tears when I watched the video. Maybe I'm just a loser. At any rate, this device not only uses motion sensors to accomplish its intended purpose, but also monitors the shifts in muscle along your arm as you wear it. This way they can get around programming individual gestures for everything and just use base poses and go from there. The developers project that at its most advanced stages the Myo will be able to allow players of videogames to play them by actually acting out the actions they are called upon to perform. For example, loading your gun no longer requires the pressing of a single button, but instead the removal and replacement of a cartridge. This, in collaboration with other devices such as the Oculus Rift, could give gamers a full virtual-reality experience. And also PTSD.
But the point is that full-on virtual reality seems to be on the way. I don't know about you, but I've been waiting for this for years.

Beyond that, I recently came across a software called Spritz, which is designed primarily to increase the reading speed in wpm from and average of 220 to any number you'd like. I tried it for about five minutes and got up to 500. It seems silly and a little over-the-top, but it's pretty neat stuff. While 500 wpm was a little uncomfortable, I did fine all the way up to 450, and that's twice the average reading speed.
My understanding of the purpose of the software is that it is designed to increase both the reading speed of the user and also the retention rate of the user. I have no idea if it works because they really don't have anything substantial up on their site. It's all just blurbs about why Spritz is great. It seems to me that it works, though, and I'm very excited to see where it'll go in the future. I hope you will be too.

I plan to have Science! posts up pretty regularly. I think you'll be able to expect them about once every two weeks or so. No promises as of yet because we're only just starting, but I'll do my best.
Avante!

No comments:

Post a Comment